Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Friday, July 10, 2015

Coconut Basbousa!

It's the weekend, yaaay!!!! I have so much to look forward to...my bestie is coming from Abu Dhabi to see me...and I am soooper excited!!! The wheels in my head are already running on what to make for her....:) But anyway, I digress...

We are slowly approaching the close of the holy month of Ramadan, but I do not think that Ramadan would be complete, or for that matter my dear friends would never forgive me if I did not post this recipe...after all, it is a classic!


Basbousa is a traditional Middle Eastern dish,  made of semolina, soaked in a special sugar syrup and like I said earlier, extremely popular during Iftars...and Suhours too! The most popular one of the lot, I think, is the almond basbousa, but I've opted for another equally favorite version...the coconut one. Super easy to make, and in fact, it takes all of 30 minutes! So, let's get started shall we?

INGREDIENTS


  • 1 tin condensed milk (I used Nestle)
  • 1/2 cup ghee, softened at roo m temperature
  • 2 cups semolina (rava)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup dessicated coconut 
  • 1 cup water (Warm water would be preferred)
  • 1 tablespoon tahina sauce
  • Grated coconut- For garnish
  • Dry raisins- For garnish (optional)
For the Syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2cups sugar

RECIPE
  • In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the tahina sauce.
  • Layer a tablespoon of tahina sauce at the bottom of a baking dish.
  • To this add the coconut mixture and level it out with the back of a spoon.
  • Bake this in an oven, pre heated at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes or till the top turns out golden brown.
  • Ensure that the basbousa cools completely before cutting into slices.
I got a total of 16 slices depending on the sizes that you cut them into. Do try it out and let me know how it turns out!



Till next time, take care and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I was always interesting in different recipes. I love desserts so much and like to search for delicious recipes.

    I read your article about 2 or 3 weeks ago and finally tried it last weekends. I think that I added too much baking soda and not enough tahina sauce, but...you know, the result surprised me. That was a very delicious dessert. My husband liked it so much.

    So I would like to thank you for this recipe. Keep it up! Will wait for next updates.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!