I know I posted a similar recipe for Carrot Soup , but I had to post this one too, coz Broccoli is a fave, both of A and his sister too. So this is a dedication to both of them!! This soup is actually for all those broccoli haters, coz once you have this, I can guarantee you, broccoli will definitely be on your must have veggie list! The only thing to be careful of though is to ensure that you wash it thoroughly, which I shall explain in the recipe. For now, let's go ahead and find out how to make this lush, creamy soup.
- 1 medium sized broccoli
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- Handful of chives (optional- you can also replace with spring onions)
- 1 cup low fat milk (replace with skimmed milk for a healthier option)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (you can also use 2 tablespoons butter)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- Coriander leaves- Garnish (optional)
- Remove the florets of the broccoli and insert into boiling water with a pinch of turmeric for 3 minutes. This is to kill any germs present.
- Heat oil and saute onions and chives. Add a little salt at this stage to cook the onions faster.
- To this add pepper powder and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the florets along with the milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Grind this in a blender or use a hand blender.
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon of oil and saute the flour in this. Immediately add the broccoli mixture to this and warm for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with salt and pepper. You can also use coriander leaves or fresh cream for an extra creamy flavor.
Tada!! soup is ready. Serve immediately with bread or crackers.
That's it from my end. Do try out the soup and let me know your thoughts! Take care and God bless! Happy cooking!!