Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Egg curry in coconut milk!

One of the advantages of living in a place where you have both your parents and in laws living is that, if you have a craving for a particular dish, you have, not one, but 2 moms to rely on :). So now you know why A calls me the laziest creature on the planet lolz! If you ask me for my mom in law's signature dish, 2 images come to mind...pork curry and egg curry in coconut milk. Egg curry is a staple dish on Friday mornings at A's place. Fridays are our weekends in the UAE. That combined with appam could keep me going all day :). I've tried to recreate her magic, but of course that could never happen. After all,a mother's taste is inimitable (is that even a word?!?). Her egg curry normally includes potatoes, but mine doesn't (hence the title of the laziest creature....). So mumma,this curry is for you....

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 Eggs, hard boiled
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
  • 2 slit green chillies
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 2 teaspoons red chilly powder
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (cloves +cinnamon + cumin + cardamom + black pepper). You can also buy this at the store.
  • 1 tablespoon coriander powder
  • 1 cup thin coconut milk
  • 1 cup thick coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • salt to taste
  • coriander leaves to garnish
METHOD
  • Boil 2 eggs with a pinch of salt for about 12-15 minutes.
  • Once boiled, immerse them in normal water at room temp to cool them.
  • Separately in a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
  • Splutter mustard seeds followed by cumin seeds (Malayalam- perinjeerakam).
  • Once they splutter, add ginger garlic paste followed by chilies.
  • Add onions and salt so as to cook the onions faster.
  • Once the onions turn translucent and the raw smell disappears, add the turmeric powder followed by chilly and coriander powder.
  • Now add the thin coconut milk and cook for about 3 minutes. Thin coconut milk is prepared by adding a tablespoon of coconut milk powder to a cup of boiling hot water. I use Maggi's coconut milk powder.
  • While this is coking, crack the shells of the eggs and slice them in half.
  • Add these halves to the simmering coconut milk and cook for another 3 minutes. At this stage, add the garam masala powder.
  • Check salt levels.
  • Finally add the thick coconut milk. To prepare this, add 4 tablespoons of coconut milk powder to a cup of boiling water.
  • After just one boil, switch of the stove.  
  • Pour a tablespoon of oil over the curry. Garnish generously with coriander leaves.
Tada, the curry is ready!

Now doesn't that look scrumptious :)

That's a closeup.
 So there we are! It's been a week since I started this blog and i must thank you for the incredible response I have been receiving so far.I must be honest..I did'nt expect this in such a short span of time. I do hope you continue to support and read my blog. Please do leave behind your comments on what you think of the dishes, and if I can make any improvements. Here's wishing you'll a very Happy Easter.God bless!

1 comment:

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!