Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Monday, April 30, 2012

Tiramisu!

Good morning all..hope u guys had a great relaxing weekend. I was pretty homesick this weekend...missed A like crazy :(. I cant wait to see him...but I guess what they say is true...distance does make the heart grow fonder. When I'm sad or a little lonely, i resort to 2 things..ice cream and baking! I looooove ice cream..and it's known to solve many major problems..at least in my case lolz! So i sat down last evening with a big bowl of mango and butterscotch ice cream (trust me, it's a deadly combo!) and then decided to make a nice tiramisu.
My cousin had requested this recipe from me a while ago, so did one of my colleagues. So Sheetal and Satakshee, this one's for you guys. And of course, A, my darling, this one's for u too!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 packet (400 gms) Ladysfingers biscuits- I used a brand called Emma's. (Refer notes below)
  • 1 1/2 cups black coffee (6 tablespoons of nescafe or any instant coffee in 1 1/2 cups boiling water- Refer notes)
  • 250 gms Philadelphia cream cheese- room temperature (Refer notes)
  • 3 eggs
  • 7 tablespoons sugar
  • Cocoa powder- dusting
METHOD
  • Make the black coffee and set aside. The coffee needs to be at room temperature by the time you start making the tiramisu.
  • Separate the whites from the yolks. Ensure that the whites go into a bowl with absolutely no water in it, else it gets difficult to whip them.
  • Beat the yolks with sugar until the mixture becomes thick, creamy and a golden yellow.
  • Beat the whites until semi thick and fluffy.
  • Now fold in the whites with the yolks mixture and blend until smooth and creamy with no lumps.
  • Add the cream cheese bit by bit and blend in completely.
  • Check sugar levels as the sweetness can reduce after adding the cheese.
  • Take a rectangular baking dish and layer the ladysfingers at the bottom.
  • Using a spoon, pour some coffee over each biscuit so as to soften them.
  • Using a strainer, dust some cocoa powder over this.
  • Over this, layer another set of ladysfingers and repeat the same step as above.
  • If there are any empty spaces in between in the baking dish, cover the spots with the cream cheese mixture.
  • I managed to have 3 layers of ladysfingers.  This tiramisu is good enough for atleast 6 people. Trust me , there wont be any leftovers!
Notes
  • Ladysfingers are nothing but Italian biscuits which you would find in any big supermarket. i used a brand called Emma's. Please note that you cannot make a tiramisu without ladysfingers.
  • People have this notion that you need to have espresso to make an authentic tiramisu. Nothing like that...i used normal coffee and it tasted awesome!
  • Mascarpone cheese is also considered to be mandatory for a tiramisu. Here again, I used normal cream cheese. I recommend using Philadelphia and no other brand as this is the creamiest cheese in the world, atleast according to me!
  • Always make the coffee first before you do anything else, as the coffee needs to be at room temperature. If not, the biscuits will break easily.
  • Brandy/Rum are normally used in a tiramisu. This is purely optional. i do not drink alcohol, neither does my father in law, so I did'nt add any alcohol to this. If you do want to add some alcohol, you can add upto 3 tablespoons.
Time for the pics...I've taken a few, so do let me know what you think..
And a slice for my colleague and friend, Satakshee..

So there we are..and you know what..my spirits were lifted once i made this. Of course, nothing better than seeing my love though...which i will be doing in another 3 weeks..Yippee!!! So till next time, adios amigos and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!