Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Happy Onam~ Onashamsakal!!

Hello darlings!! Here's wishing you all the blessings and happiness that the beautiful festival of Onam bestows upon us! For those of my non Keralite friends, a little bit of background information.

Onam is the "harvest festival" of Kerala, India. During this festival, we celebrate the homecoming of the mythical king, Mahabali. The festival lasts a total of 10 days, and during each of these 10 days, there are different activities and events performed. One of the most significant parts of Onam is the traditional "Pookalam" or the "Flower carpet" that the ladies of the house design in front of their houses, as a welcome to the king.


And of course, another perhaps even more important aspect is the traditional meal, the "Ona sadya". This meal is served on a traditional banana leaf and is made of vegetables freshly harvested.

This Onam was very special to me because for the very first time, together with my sister in law, the 2 of us made a full fledged traditional meal. And trust me, no one had complaints!



 So, I shall be posting the recipes in the next few posts. I know Onam is only on Monday but here's wishing all you advance Onashamsakal!!

God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!