Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Kalan~ Raw banana in a yogurt based gravy!

So, my very first Onam recipe for you guys. Kalan is normally made using raw banana and elephant yam, however, here, I have used only raw banana. You can use also use a medium ripe banana to get a  sweeter taste. Incidentally, I made this the night before and did not even keep it in the fridge, coz mom told me not to, and the curry tasted just as good. Am very happy to say that there were no leftovers :P. Not so bad for a first timer, he he..!! It is Onam, I am allowed to blow my own horn. By the way, this was the first dish I made for Onam.

Enough with the chit chat, on to the recipe...

INGREDIENTS (Serves6-9)

  • Raw banana (pachha kaya) or medium ripe banana- 1
  • Freshly grated coconut- 6 tablespoons
  • Curd- 6 tablespoons
  • Green chilies- 3, slit through the middle
  • Pepper powder- 1 teaspoon
  • Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds- 1 teaspoon
  • Salt to taste
  • Ghee- 1 teaspoon
  • Hot water- 1/2 cup
For tempering


  • Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
  • Dry red chilies- 2
  • Curry leaves- 1 or 2 sprigs
  • Shallots- 2 (optional)
  • Coconut oil- 1 tablespoon

METHOD

  • Cut the raw banana through the middle and then chop into cubes. In order to preserve their color, put them in water to which a pinch of turmeric has been added. If you are going to cook this immediately, avoid this step.
  • Cook this with water, turmeric powder and pepper powder. Do not add salt else the vegetable will not get cooked. This should take 15-20 minutes on a low flame.
  • In the mean time, grind the coconut, green chilies and cumin with the curd. Do not add any water.
  • After the banana is cooked, add the salt and ghee. Ensure that all the water is evaporated.
  • Now add the coconut-curd mixture. Ensure this does not boil, just heat it through for a couple of minutes, else the curd will curdle. Switch off the flame once done.
  • In a separate pan, heat the oil and splutter mustard seeds, followed by the dry red chilies and curry leaves. 
  • Pour this over the kalan and cover it instantly so that it does not lose it's smell or flavor.
Tada, the kalan is ready!! On to\the pictures...



And another one...


Thank you so much Naveen for the lovely clicks..!! So what do you guys think? Do try it out and let me know how it turns out!

Onashamsakal!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!