Total Pageviews

Pages

Featured Post

Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani!

Hello, my lovelies!!!! I am baaaaaack!!!! Ok, I do need to apologize for the extremely long hiatus...and no, I am not going to make any exc...

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Dynamite Shrimps!

Have you ever been to PF Chang's? It's an American-Chinese joint that serves some really fantastic food. I would recommend it for any occasion, honestly! And as always, when I have something I like, I have to try it out, at any cost :D You know, I am obsessive when it comes to food :)

Their signature dish is something called Dynamite Shrimps, which is basically batter dipped shrimp that's deep fried and tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce, served in a martini glass. Hmm, heaven in a martini glass! So obviously, I had to try it out ..he he!


Clearly, it was not the exact recipe from PF Chang's...just my own "copy cat" version, lolz! Whatever said and done though, the end result was really good, and the best part of it all, was it was super healthy! Reason? Because we used an "Air Fryer", details of which I shall post in my subsequent posts. Long story short, this was not deep fried in oil, rather cooked in hot air, without a drop of oil. So, isn't that healthy?


The best part of it all was that I finally got to use the martini glasses that were given to us so lovingly by a friend. So, Anurag, this one is truly for you! Special dedication also to my sis in law Amy, who is a big fan of this dish. So Amy, this one's for you too! Incidentally, do not panic if you do not have martini glasses, you can use ordinary bowls, and they will still look absolutely gorgeous!

RECIPE (Serves 2)


  • 250 gms shrimp, de-shelled and de-veined. I used medium shrimp
Marinade for the Shrimp
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup corn flour (corn starch)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika (red chilly powder)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt to taste
Sauce
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons Sweet Chilly Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce (or tabasco sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon honey (optional, I used this)
  • Pepper (Optional)
  • Salt (A pinch)
Garnish
  • Spring onions, cut into small pieces 
  • Lettuce

METHOD
  • Marinate the shrimp in turmeric, chilly and pepper powders and set aside for about 5 minutes.
  • In a separate bowl, mix the flour, corn starch salt and pepper and set aside.
  • In another bowl, beat the eggs.
  • Dip the prawns, first in the flour mixture, and shake of the excess. Then dip into the eggs, and finally dip again in the flour mixture,ensuring that the prawns are covered completely.
  • If using oil, deep fry the prawns till a golden brown. Since I used the Air Fryer, I did not use any oil, and cooked this for 7 minutes.
  • While the prawns are cooking, make the sauce. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients mentioned under "Sauce" and set aside.
  • Toss the cooked prawns in the sauce.
  • Arrange lettuce leaves in the glass or bowl that you are using. Place the prawns in the lettuce bed and top with spring onions.


Why would you possibly want to go to PF Chang's, when you can cook this in the comfort of your home :) Do try this out and let me know how it turns out! Till next time, take care and God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank u for taking the time to drop by and leave a note. It's people like you who make me want to improve my cooking skills more and increase my passion for cooking! Please ensure that you dont leave behind comments that are hurtful or inappropriate. Remember, constructive criticism is always appreciated, not destructive! Have a nice day and God bless!

My dear fans!!

Tweet me!

Reader's favorites!